Ah Sundays. Where I grew up, Sundays were the days to have long leisurely meals with family and friends. To forget weekday foods and their sterile plasticky sheen of convenience and expediency. To instead remember more labour and love-intensive dishes. To distribute such labours of love and culinary obsession onto plates lining a long table. To share stories from the week just passed. To laugh, nod, tut at those stories, and recharge body and soul alike for the week looming ahead.
It warmed my heart to meet in London a whole community of supperclub hosts who instantly recognised that Sunday phenomenon when I described it to them, who so enthusiastically said YES when I shared with them my vision of creating and sharing that kind of Sunday Feast here in London.
Heck, I'll let them speak for themselves here:
Video by Fabio Forin of the Backdoor Kitchen Supperclub
Our troupe of multi-ethnic multi-national feeders found a Sunday kitchen and dining room at the brand new School of Wok cooking school in Covent Garden, stitched together 11 elaborate Sunday menus over 3 months, and TADAH! Sunday Feasts was born.
Below is a teaser of the dishes from the various Sunday Feasts menus, served up as canapes at our press preview event on 28 Aug:
Photo credits: Fabio Forin, Cherry Smart, Jason Ng
1st row from left:
- Soy dashi eggs with salmon roe, and Cantonese "mouthwatering" chicken by FedbyTang
- Prawn malai curry shots and samosas with Himalayan chutney by Darjeeling Express
2nd row from left:
- Sago gula melaka by Budaya Kusina
- Our Sunday Feasts home School of Wok in Covent Garden
- Peruvian potato cakes with cheese sauce by FabCooking
3rd row from left:
- Squid and squid ink pastries, garnished with olive oil caviar and marcona almond sprinkles by Flavours of Spain
- A pop up canape-matched wine tasting by our press preview supporters A Grape Night In
- Pork belly satay and chwee kueh (steamed rice cakes with pickled turnip) by Plusixfive
4th row from left:
- Canape-style lasagne with radicchio by the Backdoor Kitchen;
- Poudine Mas (Mauritian polenta cakes with coconut) by Yummy Choo
- Surprise-flavour French crepes by Pauline Cuisine and Carib Gourmet
Come! Be tempted by our Sunday Feasts menus. Slow down, sit down, eat with some old friends, make some new friends. Fill your tummy and your soul.
Start your week right. Come feast with us. You bring drinks and an open heart. We'll bring the rest.
All Sunday Feasts are £36 + £3.60 booking fee. BYOB.